Sports | Fencing

Women's fencing goes undefeated at Penn State Invitational

Women’s fencing submitted a strong performance at this weekend’s Penn State Invitational, but the men saw its perfect record dashed with its first two losses of the season.

A 16-11 win over No. 8 Penn State headlined the day for the No. 2 women (13-1), who had suffered a narrow upset to Northwestern earlier this season. 

The Lions opened the event with an 18-9 win over Yale, and then cruised past Haverford and North Carolina by 15-plus margins.

The Light Blue struggled in the earlygoing against Temple, falling behind 7-2 in epee, but answered with a sound 8-1 performance in foil. First-year Ilana Solomon secured a 5-4 saber win to turn the final score in the Lions’ favor. 

But the top-ranked men (12-2) fell to No. 2 Penn State 16-11, unable to top the Nittany Lions in foil and saber. Duke then added to the Lions’ woes with a 15-12 victory. 

The pair of losses came on the heels of three routine wins from the Light Blue, dispatching Yale 18-9 to begin the event and then beating Haverford and North Carolina by identical 22-5 scorelines. 

Columbia ended the day with an 18-9 win over Penn, led by senior epeeist and reigning national champion Jake Hoyle, who earned a 5-0 sweep in the final round against the Quakers.

The Lions will compete again this weekend at the St. John’s Super Cup and NYU Invitational.

kelly.reller@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports