Sports | Fencing

Fencing dominates in Ivy Championship for share of league title

Columbia fencing reasserted itself as one of the country’s top programs this weekend when both men’s and women’s teams took a share of the Ivy League Championship. After two days of Ancient Eight competition, the Lions became a part of league history in a three-way tie for both the men’s and women’s titles.

“It just shows the depth and strength of fencing in the Ivy League,” head coach Michael Aufrichtig said of the weekend’s shared successes. “It’s really no surprise—there’s so many strong teams and strong fencers and it’s so close now.”

The Light Blue men’s team shared the championship with Penn and Princeton, while the women’s team tied with Harvard and Princeton. A win over the highly-esteemed Harvard men’s team gave Columbia the opportunity to make up for its 16-11 hiccup against Penn on Saturday.

The men’s team earned a share of the title after successfully topping Brown, 21-6, to finish the weekend 4-1 overall.

On the women’s side, the Lions tallied a 5-1 finish, falling only to league foe Princeton. The foil squad continued its dominance with a major highlight by senior Jackie Dubrovich, who went undefeated on the weekend.

“Jackie was fantastic. And Iman Blow, one of our first-years, went 3-0 against Harvard,” Aufrichtig said. “The crazy thing with our foil team is generally whoever we put in, we know that they’re going to be able to do well.”

The team also brought home a host of individual accolades. First-year Calvin Liang and junior Michael Costin earned first-team All Ivy honors for saber, while Dubrovich and junior Sarah Taffel were named to the foil first team. Four team members made the second All-Ivy team.

The win was a strong signifier of the team’s league dominance, but its status as the reigning NCAA champion will need to be reaffirmed in just a month at NCAA Regionals.

“What I told the team today was, ‘winners win. And we’re winners.’ And they didn’t forget that,” Aufrichtig said. “And we’ve got five weeks before Regionals, and we’re going to do everything we can to make sure that we’re in a position to qualify 12.”

Until then, the Lions will take on a lighter load as they host the Historical Meet on Wednesday, which will feature the local teams of NYU, Sacred Heart, and Vassar.

kelly.reller@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports