Sports | Fencing

Fencing will compete in its final event leading up to NCAAs

Though it’s been a quiet month for Columbia fencing, the team will end February with a flurry of makeup competitions. Since earning dual Ivy League championship titles in early February, the Lions have been preparing themselves for NCAA Regionals—a key stepping stone on the road to a repeat national championship. 

But unlike most seasons, the Lions were shortchanged in January when inclement weather canceled two of their competitions. In order to make up for the St. John's Super Cup and the NYU Invitational, Columbia will get back on the mat this weekend at the National Squad Championships, where the team will be represented in foil and saber in the men’s and women’s divisions.

Held in Princeton, New Jersey, the tournament will bring in some of the missed talent from last month, as well as a new competition opportunity for the Light Blue. The reigning Ancient Eight champs will meet up Brandeis for the season’s first showdown and then play in a rematch against Sacred Heart, who the Lions beat earlier this month at the Historical Meet.

As College Fencing 360’s No. 1 teams, the Light Blue men’s and women’s squads don’t have too much to worry about regarding whether this weekend’s will affect national rankings. However, the chance to get back on the piste one more time before NCAA Regionals could play an important role in the team's preparation.

The Squad Championships are set to begin bright and early on Sunday at 9 a.m.

kelly.reller@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports