Sports | Lacrosse

Lacrosse falls to Dartmouth in season finale

Lacrosse was unable to rally in the closing minutes of the final game of the 2016 season, ultimately falling 13-11 to Dartmouth.

The Lions (6-9, 1-6 Ivy) struck first off an unassisted goal by junior midfielder Taylor Quinn, and led 2-1 after the first 10 minutes of play thanks to senior midfielder Jessie Ambrose’s score.

However, the lead would prove to be the last of the game for the Light Blue, as its defense struggled to contain the Big Green (7-8, 3-4 Ivy). Midfielder Jaclyn Leto, who leads the Ivy League in goals scored, tallied a first-half hat trick to stake Dartmouth to a 7-5 halftime lead.

The Big Green continued to score consistently in the second half, but Columbia stayed within striking distance thanks in large part to junior midfielder Mariel Teague. After being held scoreless in the first half, Teague scored three goals in the first 13 minutes after intermission to prevent Dartmouth from extending its lead beyond three.

After Teague’s third goal cut the Light Blue deficit to two at 10-8, Leto answered with her fourth of the game. The Lions found themselves down 11-8 as the final 10 minutes of their season began to tick away, needing another spark.

Junior attacker Sara Ruzzi responded for the Light Blue, burying her second unassisted goal of the game. Just over 90 seconds later, first-year midfielder Lindsey Ewertsen found sophomore attacker Victoria Kalamaras to bring Columbia within one with over seven minutes remaining.

However, Dartmouth dug in and held the Lions scoreless for the next five-plus minutes while tallying two goals of their own off free position to reopen a 13-10 lead. Ruzzi scored the final Columbia goal of the season to complete her hat trick with under a minute remaining, but the Light Blue would get no closer.

Despite the disappointing loss, Columbia finished the season with a number of impressive statistical achievements. The Lions’ six wins were the most for the program since 2010, and the team ranked second in the Ivy League in regular-season scoring with 10.8 goals per game.

Kalamaras ranked fifth in the Ancient Eight in total scoring with 2.93 points per game, while Ruzzi and Ewertsen finished tied for fifth in regular-season goals scored per game, with 2.13 each. Ewertsen’s 32 goals on the season were the second-most for a first-year player in program history.

The Light Blue will return its top four scorers next year, and will look to build upon the foundation laid down in head coach Andrea Cofrin’s inaugural season.

dylan.russian@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports