Sports | Features

Year in Review 2015-16: how Columbia fared on and off the field

From the Editor

The 2015-16 year was a historic one for Columbia Athletics, headlined by a football program rejuvenated by new head coach Al Bagnoli. The 63-year-old arrived last February and brought an entirely new mindset to a team that hadn’t won a game since 2012. 

The Lions didn’t win the opening three contests of Bagnoli’s tenure, but they ended a 24-game losing streak with a 26-3 home victory over Wagner before dispatching Yale three weeks later.

Columbia failed to win another game the rest of the season, finishing 2-8 in Bagnoli’s first season in Morningside Heights, but expectations are high for year two. 

Meanwhile, fencing won its second consecutive national title—both the men’s and women’s squads dispatched a host of top schools at Brandeis—and men’s tennis made it three Ivy titles in a row. Men’s basketball set a program record with 25 wins and a CIT title, though they’ve introduced a new head coach into the fold in Jim Engles after Kyle Smith departed for the University of San Francisco. 

This hasn’t, however, been a year full of only victories. Baseball’s bid for four consecutive Ivy champions came to an end this spring, and women’s basketball struggled to cope with the departure of former head coach Stephanie Glance in September, finishing in last place in the Ivy League. Megan Griffith, CC ’07, has returned  to Morningside Heights to take over as head coach for the women’s team, though whether she will galvanize the Lions in a manner similar to Bagnoli is yet to be seen. 

All told, Columbia Athletics seems to be on the rise, with room to improve upon its results from 2015-16. 

Daniel Radov

Sports Editor

Football takes strides under Bagnoli

By Daniel Radov

Men's basketball claims CIT title

By Austin Horn

Men's tennis defies expectations

By Christopher Lopez

Remembering Bill Campbell

By Daniel Radov and Catie Edmonson

How fencing repeated as NCAA champions

By Dylan Russian

Baseball misses out on ILCS

By Ellorine Carle

Women's tennis comes up short of Ivy title

By Catie Pellerin

Women's basketball looks to future

By Bradley Davison