Sports | Men's Basketball

Maodo Lo set to play with Philadelphia 76ers in NBA Summer League

Maodo Lo, CC '16, will be joining the Philadelphia 76ers Summer League teams in both Utah and Las Vegas in July, ESPN’s Fran Franschilla first reported.

Columbia's third-highest all-time scorer, Lo will first head to Utah to play alongside number one overall pick Ben Simmons. Lo will then head to Las Vegas, as he hopes to make the 76ers' training camp roster after going undrafted this past Thursday.

According to LibertyBallers.com’s Max Rappaport, it’s not uncommon for NBA teams to sign players for both the Utah and Las Vegas summer stops. Rappaport explained that Jahlil Okafor, the 76ers’ first-round pick in 2015, and undrafted guard TJ McConnell played in both last year.

Okafor went on to average 17.5 points per game during the regular season, while McConnell earned a roster spot and then started for a portion of the year.

That prospect may seem unlikely for Lo nearly four months before the regular season begins, but Rappaport believes that the Berlin native could have a future with the 76ers beyond his stint in July.

“I think he has a nice shot of making training camp, because our (Philadelphia’s) roster is loaded in the front court right now,” he said. “We can carry 20 for camp, and if he plays well in summer league, I'm sure they'll sign him to one of those 4-year non-guaranteed deals and see if he can cut it in camp.”

Rappaport added that given the Sixers’ struggles from the perimeter, Lo could bring a much-needed ability to stretch the floor at the point guard position. A unanimous first-team All-Ivy selection in 2015-16, Lo owns the program record with 277 career three-pointers field goals.

Utah Summer League takes place from July 4-7 in Salt Lake City. Las Vegas Summer League begins on July 8. Both events will be aired on NBA TV.

sports@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports