Sports | Men's Basketball

Maodo Lo impresses in Utah Summer League with 76ers, now heads to Las Vegas

Maodo Lo, CC ’16, wrapped up his first NBA Summer League stint on a strong note. The Berlin native tallied eight points and five rebounds for his Philadelphia 76ers' first win of the Utah Summer League.

While Lo saw no action in the 76ers' first contest in Utah, he shined as soon as he hit the court in his second game against the Spurs. Lo subbed in for former Texas A&M guard Alex Caruso, and found his stroke from the onset. The Berlin native earned praise from the play-by-play announcers for his poise, as he finished the game 5-for-8 from the field with 13 points in 23 minutes. 

According to Libertyballers.com’s Max Rappaport, Lo has pushed past Alex Caruso in the 76ers’ point guard rotation, and emerged as the backup to established guard TJ McConnell by the third and final game. 

Rappaport remains unsure if the 76ers will have the necessary backcourt room to give Lo an NBA roster spot. But he noted that the recent Columbia graduate brings much-needed versatility and long-range shooting capabilities to the 76ers, who ranked 24th in the NBA in three-point field goal percentage.

“The Sixers are definitely looking for shooters along the perimeter (especially at PG, because Ben Simmons will command a lot of the ball-handling duties, making shooting a more valuable skill at that position),” Rappaport said. “Lo has flashed a skill set that's pretty appealing considering what the team is looking for, but I think it'd be tough for him to earn a roster spot. 

He went on to explain that the 76ers will likely retain seven perimeter players before they consider Lo due to the roster’s front court saturation. However, Rappaport still believes that if Lo continues to play this well, he could earn a non-guaranteed contract with the 76ers or another organization.

A non-guaranteed contract does not automatically translate into a roster spot, but it would assure Lo a training camp tryout with a team and improve his chances of making a final NBA roster. 

But Lo will not encounter that possibility until later this month, with the next stop being Las Vegas for the second and final leg of NBA Summer League action.

The 76ers’ first game starts against the Los Angeles Lakers at 8:30 p.m. ET on ESPN2. The Las Vegas Summer League will run through July 12th. 

austin.horn@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports