Sports | Track

Junior Akua Obeng-Akrofi set to represent Ghana in Summer Olympics

Junior Akua Obeng-Akrofi is heading to Rio de Janeiro for the 2016 Summer Olympics, where she’ll look to represent Ghana in the 4x100m relay. 

Part of a five-person team in the event, Obeng-Akrofi is not guaranteed to compete in Rio for Ghana, which will select its top four runners in the 4x100m. But Obeng-Akrofi’s inclusion in the Olympics remains a tremendous achievement for the junior, who qualified via the CAA Senior African Championships. 

She rose to prominence this past year in Morningside Heights, as her best performance came in the NCAA East Prelims in the 400m. Obeng-Akrofi ran a 53.14 during the first round of that race—the second-fastest time in program history. The Ghana native also has been part of record-breaking relay teams in the 4x100m and 4x200m.

"This is my first year running with the Ghana team, so going in I didn't know a majority of the team," Obeng-Akrofi said in a statement from Columbia Athletics. "They welcomed me with open arms and I got the chance to build relationships with all of them. There is so much love on the team and I feel honored to be a part of it."

daniel.radov@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports