Sports | Soccer

Women's soccer faces tough defense at Brown

Women’s soccer will travel to Brown on Saturday for its second conference matchup of the season.

The Lions (4-4-2, 1-0 Ivy) are coming off a successful weekend where they managed to blank rivals Cornell and Wagner. The defense clearly impressed, the Lions were also able to showcase their passing prowess on the offensive end in those victories, picking up five assists on six scored goals. Brown (5-1-3, 1-0 Ivy), however, will pose some new challenges.

The Bears currently hold the lowest goals-allowed average in the country (.103), having allowed only one score all season, recording eight shutouts in their nine total matches.

“Brown has been having a great year right now,” head coach Tracey Bartholomew said. “Their goalkeeper is great, and their backline is good, too.”

But the Light Blue, which netted six goals in its last two games, will threaten the thus far stalwart Brown defense. Sophomore forward Emma Anderson, the Lion’s leading scorer, added two goals against Wagner and will look to sustain that level of offensive efficiency. Another crucial element to Columbia’s recent success has been the stellar play of senior co-captain Madeline Linde. The forward has already tallied a career-high three goals on the year.

“In our last couple of games, the girls have been doing a great job finishing some of our opportunities,” Bartholomew said. “We’ve done some flank plays and are trying to flip the field quicker.”

The Lions’ offensive resurgence comes at a pivotal time, as they work to not only establish themselves in Ivy League play but also to move closer to tying up the all-time series with Brown, who currently leads 19-14-7. However, Columbia has gone unbeaten in the Ancient Eight rivals’ last six matches, winning three and drawing three.

“Every little inch matters. The girls need to be hungry at the box and need to take every second and third effort,” Bartholomew said. “I think the girls are excited to have a great game ahead of them.”

Women’s soccer plays Brown on Saturday, Oct. 1 at Stevenson-Principe Field in Providence, Rhode Island. Kickoff is at 3:30 p.m. Their next contest will be at Penn on Oct. 8.

jered.everson@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports