Sports | Soccer

Women's soccer aims to extend two-game Ivy win streak at Penn

Women’s soccer will head to Philadelphia this weekend to take on Penn in its third Ivy game of the season.

The Light Blue (5-4-2, 2-0 Ivy) is looking for its third straight victory after posting shutouts against Cornell and Brown in its first two conference contests. But led by forward Emma Loving, the Quakers’ (6-2-1, 1-1 Ivy) high-powered offense poses quite a threat. 

Penn enters this weekend ranked 29th nationally in scoring offense (2.33 GPG) and has tallied 21 goals through nine games—already more than their season total of 19 from last year. Loving alone has scored a team-high five goals, and ranks second on the squad with 10 points. 

After practice on Sunday, Columbia head coach Tracy Bartholomew highlighted the Quakers’ 5-0 road win against the Big Red. She added that, while Columbia dispatched Cornell 2-0 in late September, they will need to be well-drilled against the dangerous Penn side.

“We’ve been watching a lot of film, and we’ve been trying to analyze some of the things we can do to beat them,” Bartholomew said. “We’ve been working in some set plays and recreating certain scenarios in our schedule.”

Bartholomew didn’t reveal any specifics, but sophomore forward Emma Anderson will likely be the focal point on the offensive end. Anderson earned Ivy League Player of the Week honors on Monday, following her late goal in a 1-0 win over Brown. The sophomore leads the squad with five goals and 13 points this fall. 

Anderson will look to find the back of the net once again this weekend, with kickoff set for 5 p.m. on Saturday.

jered.everson@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports