Sports | Golf

Women's golf wins Yale Intercollegiate crown

Women’s golf won the Yale Intercollegiate after a strong second round that allowed them to hold on for the victory.

Against its toughest field this fall, the Light Blue put together back-to-back second-place rounds on Friday and Saturday that put them in first place by a single stroke over Boston College. When the final round on Sunday was canceled after rain made the course unplayable, the Lions were awarded their second consecutive victory of the season, finishing with a final score of 13 over par.

“We played a great practice round on Thursday,” head coach Amy Weeks said. “And as indicated by the score and the victory, [we] did a really good job on a course that requires actually a lot of local knowledge, a tremendous amount of patience.”

The Light Blue was led by first-year Ridhima Dilawari, who recorded her first top-five finish of her young career. Shooting an opening round even par, the New Delhi native finished with only one bogey for a one under par 70.

Joining Dilawari in the top 10 was last year’s Ivy League Golfer of the Year senior Jackie Chulya. Chulya was in a tie for fourth after an opening round 70 and stood at even par on the first nine holes of her second round, before faltering down the stretch to shoot a 73 and finish in ninth.

“Both Jackie [Chulya] and Ridhima [Dilawari] each had one round under par,” Weeks said. “Again, just a really good indicator of a team win.”

The Light Blue might not have been able to secure its first-place finish had it not been for some timely play from sophomore Amy Ding. Ding struggled in her first round, shooting a 79, before playing a tremendous second round and shooting a 72, the second-best score for the team that day. The Lexington, Massachusetts, native’s seven-shot improvement also marked a career best, topping her previous career-best round by four shots.

“Amy Ding turned in her season low so far … yesterday, which was huge, for our team score,” Weeks added.

The Light Blue will now have two weeks off before it attempts to capture a third straight win in the final fall tournament at the Cardinal Cup in Simpsonville, Kentucky.

sagar.lal@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports