Sports | Tennis

Hadavi takes second at Oracle Masters

Senior Shawn Hadavi fell in the championship match to No. 28 Ryotaro Matsumura in the highly competitive Oracle Masters Tournament at Malibu, California this weekend. 

No. 55 Hadavi, the only Ivy representative in the draw, pushed the second-seeded Matsumura to three sets but ultimately lost to the Kentucky player 6-4, 3-6, 2-6. 

That ended a thrilling run to the tournament for the senior, who gained entry after winning Ivy Player of the Year honors in 2015-2016. Hadavi opened with a three-set victory over No. 36 Gergely Madarasz of Purdue on Thursday. 

The following day, he made quick work of Ryan Peniston of Memphis—seeded fourth in the tournament and No. 57 in the nation—in straight sets 6-2, 7-5 to reach the quarterfinals. Hadavi then ended Friday with a straight-set victory over No. 116 Diogo Rocha of Denver.

His next opponent was East Tennessee State’s David Biosca in the semifinals. No. 47 in the country, Biosca took the first set before Hadavi broke serve in the second and third sets of the match to prevail 4-6, 6-2, 6-1. 

That victory set the stage for a matchup against Matsumara in the finals, but Hadavi's luck ran out on Sunday. 

He also competed in the mixed doubles draw alongside Penn's Kana Daniel, who represented women's tennis for the Ivy League. The duo managed to advance to the second round but lost to UCLA's pairing of Ena Shibahara and Martin Redlicki on Thursday. 

Men's tennis heads to Philadelphia this Thursday for the ITA Regional Championships. 

sports@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports