Sports | Golf

Men's golf takes 12th at Dayton Invitational

Men’s golf used a strong final round to finish in 12th place at the Dayton Invitational.

The Light Blue struggled on Monday, shooting an opening-round 314, which left them just one stroke out of last place. But a strong performance on Tuesday flipped the script, as the Lions shot 300—better than all but the top four teams of the tournament.

Junior Joshua Suh tallied Columbia’s low round on both days, including final-round 72 to finish in a tie for 11th—two shots outside of the top five. It also catapulted the Lions past five teams on Tuesday.

Seniors Tharusyan Pillay and Mert Selamet shared the second-best finish on the squad—six shots behind Suh in a tie for 42nd. 

Pillay and Selamet both closed the event in strong fashion, but struggled on Monday when no Columbia golfer shot better than 76. First-year Nick Brisebois opened with an 84, while senior Christopher Chu notched an 83 in the first round. 

Both players improved by four or more shots in the second round, but with the teams’ counting four of the five individual scores in a given round, Chu’s opening round had to be included in the team score.

Despite the bottom-half finish, the Lions return from Ohio with some positives: Columbia finished in a tie for second on par-five scoring and in the top five for birdies made. 

The Lions now enter their off-season and will return to the links in March.

sagar.lal@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports