Sports | Tennis

Women's tennis heads to Northeast ITA Regional Championships

Women’s tennis returns to the court this weekend for the Northeast ITA Regional Championships at Yale. The Light Blue will compete against Division I teams from all over the Northeast, including each of the Ivy League schools.

A year ago, juniors Rima Asatrian and Alexandra Solovyev won three consecutive matches as a doubles team before losing in the quarterfinal to Penn. But the Lions struggled in singles, failing to win any matches past the round of 16.

The Lions will look to improve on those results in New Haven, despite having last competed at the Cissie Leary Invitational in late September. 

“We have been going into full-on training mode with three days a week of lifting and two days a week of working on our speed and agility, in addition to doing a lot of individual work with each of our players,” head coach Ilene Weintraub, CC ’02, said.

Seven total players qualified for the Light Blue, as first-year Ali Pollack will compete with Asatrian in doubles. Sophomore Star Makarome will pair with Solovyev, while first-year Renee Ren will play with sophomore Sarah Hu on Columbia’s third doubles team. 

Asatrian, Solovyev, Pollack, Makarome, and Ren, along with sophomore Andrea Kevakian, will participate in singles.  

“We have had a tradition of excellence at Regionals over the past few years, and we are really looking to just continue that tradition,” Weintraub said.  

Play will commence on Thursday, Oct. 20 in New Haven and will continue through Monday.

ally.mcdonough@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports