Sports | Field Hockey

Katie Ruesterholz gets points record as field hockey tops Dartmouth

Katie Ruesterholz broke a program record with her 100th career point to propel the Light Blue to a 5-1 victory over Dartmouth to open homecoming weekend on Friday.

The senior forward found the back of the net in the 65th minute to secure the victory for the Light Blue and break the record of 99 career points set by Christina Freibott, CC ’16.

The Lions (7-7, 2-3 Ivy) ended a three-game losing streak with the victory, despite struggling to develop their attack early in the contest. The defense was stout, but the Big Green broke the deadlock with a deflection at the 28:25 mark. 

Down 1-0 and nearing the halfway point, junior back Maeve Doherty capitalized off a corner after time expired to tie up the game.

But Columbia would respond coming out of the gates after halftime, as the Light Blue scored four unanswered goals to complete the comeback. 

Two minutes into the half, junior midfielder Whitney Hartstone picked up a loose ball in the circle, and fired a shot into the back of the net in what turned out to be the go-ahead goal for the Lions. Seven minutes later, junior midfielder Michelle Thompson converted a corner after Doherty placed the ball on the left side of the net for the forward to tally her first goal of the season. 

First-year midfielder Lindsay Ladas similarly scored her first career goal after rebounding her own shot off the keeper’s pads, increasing the Light Blue’s lead to 4-1. 

With just over five minutes remaining in the game, Ruesterholz tallied her 12th goal of the season, to continue her dominant career in Morningside Heights where she will look to continue to shatter records in her final year.

The Lions were dominant offensively throughout, taking the shots advantage 31 to 14 and tallying 14 penalty corners to the Big Green’s seven. Senior goalkeeper Kendall Kuntz came up with eight saves on the day, and kept Dartmouth’s offense stagnant throughout the match.

Field hockey returns to action Saturday, as it will travel to take on Yale.

jacqueline.diggs@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports