Sports | Rowing

Women's rowing takes 27th at Head of Charles

Women's rowing finished 27th in a field of 33 at the Head of the Charles regatta in Boston on Sunday. 

The Lions only sent out an eight to feature at the 52nd running of the world-renowned regatta. Led by junior coxswain Virginia Fatt, the Light Blue finished the three-mile course in 18:39.51. 

Seniors Lilli DeBode, Emerald Smith, and Elena McGahey rowed in their final Head of the Charles wearing light blue. Joining the trio was Liza Ray, who was the lone first-year to make this weekend's boat. 

Head coach Scott Ramsey wasn't thrilled, however, with the results and effort the team put forth. 

"Today's performance was extremely disappointing," Ramsey said. "I do not think that our crew performed remotely close to the level that it's capable of, and we squandered a really big opportunity." 

However, Ramsey was very pleased again with the alumni showing at the regatta, noting that a boat of women's alumnae placed in the top 10 of their race. Lions' assistant coach Sam Warren was among those who competed. 

"Our alumni were great again this year," Ramsey said. "We had two alumni eights out there, and our top alumni crew finished in the top 10 again, so we're really excited about their involvement." 

Columbia placed behind their six Ivy League rivals—Cornell did not compete—in the Women's Championship event, though Radcliffe, the women's crew from Harvard, saw its B boat finish last in the field. 

The squad will next head to Lake Carnegie in Princeton, New Jersey, for the Princeton Chase.

max.rettig@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports