Sports | Tennis

The Next (Greatest) Generation

First-year Jackie Tang had never played with Chien Hsun Lo prior to the 2016 U.S. Open junior boys’ doubles draw. In the pair’s run to the quarterfinals, Tang’s poise immediately caught the eye of Columbia associate head coach Howard Endelman, CC ’87.

“To have the confidence and to have the courage to go out and beat guys at that level, it just takes something a little bit extra,” Endelman said. “You really have to go out there and believe, and have the grit to persevere, even when the conditions are a little tough.”

It was also the first major tournament on U.S. soil for Tang, a native of Hong Kong. He had to travel the world to get attention from American coaches, most of whom had never seen him play.

“I never played in any USTA tournaments—I had to play the ITFs, the International Tennis Federation tournaments to get my world ranking” Tang said. “So they [the coaches] just looked at my results and went off the words of other people.”

But that wasn't the case for either Alex Keyser or Adam Ambrozy, the other two members of the ninth-best recruiting class in the country. Their roads to Columbia were far more conventional, but their signature moments were anything but.

At the ITA All-American Tournament in Tulsa, Oklahoma, Keyser accomplished a feat only matched by three first-years in the event’s history, winning seven consecutive matches over four days to reach the main draw.

“Obviously when I first got there, I didn’t think I was going to go that far. I expected to be home by the first Sunday,” Keyser said. “So starting off like that just gives me confidence.”

Like Tang, Keyser took his unique opportunity and flourished when the spotlight was at its brightest. Along the way, he showed glimpses of the player that the coaches had their eyes on for years.

Meanwhile, Ambrozy has qualified for the prestigious ITF Futures tournaments, capping a fall that has seen the first-year reach three sets in seven of his 10 matches.

“Beginning of the year I didn’t really do too hot—I lost to a lot of players on the team,” Ambrozy said. “But in the last couple weeks I’ve started beating the guys and feeling my game more.”

Ambrozy’s coaches and teammates alike praised his work ethic on and off the court, in the weight room and the classroom. Through the eyes of Endelman, a former player at Columbia in his own right, Ambrozy’s desire to improve has been evident through his consistent commitment to working hard. 

Graphic by Alex Andrejev /  Staff Designer

“It took Adam [Ambrozy] a little bit of time, and I think he’s coming along,” head coach Bid Goswami said.

Ambrozy’s improvement was largely aided by the team culture maintained by the coaches and players—a culture that ultimately attracted Tang, Keyser, and Ambrozy to Morningside Heights.

“Over the summer, before I committed, four of the Columbia guys came over to Hong Kong and trained with me,” Tang said. “They were just great guys, and the team seemed like a family.”

Keyser added that the coaching staff has created a dynamic conducive to growth inside and outside the comforts of the Savitt Center. It all adds up to a Class of 2020 that, according to sophomore Timothy Wang, may be even better than its national ranking. 

The whole team, including the coaches, has been very impressed by the way the class has performed in the fall season so far. Sophomore Timothy Wang mentioned how despite coming in with high expectations—the class was ranked number nine in the nation by the tennis recruiting network—they have possibly even outperformed that ranking. 

Endelman went so far as to say that the trio has the potential to make its mark on the national stage. 

“All three of them are certainly good enough to be at the least top 60 in college tennis,” he said. “But I think they all have the potential to be All-Americans.”

While Goswami pointed out that there will be tough times ahead, he noted that the Class of 2020 can become one of the best in Columbia’s history—perhaps even better than the Greatest Generation

“If they do the work and if they keep on going, I think they have a great future,” Goswami said. “The world is their oyster.”

jonah.sharf@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports

happy wheels posted on

“But I think they all have the potential to be All-Americans.”

+1
+3
-1
jessicastephen22 posted on

URGENT LOVE-SPELL TO GET YOUR EX BOYFRIEND/GIRLFRIEND BACK FAST!!
I’m so excited! Thanks to Dr.Unity for bringing back my Ex-husband and brought great joy to me today! Unityspelltemple@gmail.com is certainly the best spell caster online,if you need your Ex lover back fast!and his result is 100% guarantee..
After 12years of marriage, me and my husband has been into one quarrel or the other until he finally left me and moved to California to be with another woman. I felt my life was over and my kids thought they would never see their father again. i tried to be strong just for the kids but i could not control the pains that torments my heart, my heart was filled with sorrows and pains because i was really in love with my husband. Every day and night i think of him and always wish he would come back to me, I was really upset and i needed help, so i searched for help online and I came across a website that suggested that Dr Unity can help get ex back fast. So, I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and he told me what to do and i did it then he did a (Love spell) for me. 28 hours later, my husband really called me and told me that he miss me and the kids so much, So Amazing!! So that was how he came back that same day,with lots of love and joy,and he apologized for his mistake,and for the pain he caused me and the kids. Then from that day,our Marriage was now stronger than how it were before, All thanks to Dr Unity. he is so powerful and i decided to share my story on the internet that Dr.Unity real and powerful spell caster who i will always pray to live long to help his children in the time of trouble, if you are here and you need your Ex back or your husband moved to another woman, do not cry anymore, contact this powerful spell caster now. Here’s his contact: Email him at: Unityspelltemple@gmail.com ,
you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348071622464 ,
you can also visit his website: https://unityspelltempe.blogspot.com .

+1
+3
-1
Sarah Jack posted on

Henderson Elizabeth
Dr joy is a trust worthy spell caster and he will be of great help to you. I never believed in spell casting but After 4 years of marriage my husband left me because I lost my womb, and i was unable to give birth to children. I felt like my life has come to an end, and i almost committed suicide, i was emotionally down for a very long time, but thanks to this spell caster called Dr joy whom i met online after my friend Becky Ross told me how he also helped her to bring back her husband in less than 2 days. I believed her and decided to give Dr joy a try and i contacted him on his email joylovespell@gmail.com. and explained my problems to him. He laughed and told me that In less than 2 days, my Husband will come back to me again, and that he will restore my womb and i will give birth to children. At first i thought it was a joke but i took courage and believed as Dr joy has said and it did happen just as this Great spell caster said, My husband called me and was crying, begging for forgiveness. I forgive him and today i am so glad that all worries and problems has gone away, and we are even happier than before, another good news is that i am pregnant now, and very soon we will have our baby. Dr joy is really a gifted and a powerful spiritual man and i will not stop publishing him because he is a wonderful man. I advice you all If you have a problem and you are looking for a real and genuine spell caster to solve all your problems just Contact Dr joy on his email on joylovespell@gmail.com. because he will always help you to solve all problems. Once again thank you Dr joy. Thank you, thank you.
you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2347088404185.

+1
-1
-1
Sarah posted on

URGENT EFFECTIVE LOVE-SPELL TO GET YOUR EX LOVER BACK FAST BEFORE CHRISTMAS.
I am Sarah from USA, after 9 years of marriage with my husband,
he divorced me and brought in another lady, i did all i could to get him back
but all proved abortive, I was really upset and i needed help, so i searched for help online and I came across a
website that suggested that Dr Unity can help get ex back fast. So, I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and he told
me what to do and i did it then he did a (Love spell) for me.
28 hours later, my husband really called me and told me that he miss me and the kids so much,
So Amazing!! So that was how he came back that same day,with lots of love and joy,and he apologized for his mistake,
and for the pain he caused me and the kids. Then from that day,
our Marriage was now stronger than how it were before, All thanks to Dr Unity. he is so powerful and i decided
to share my story on the internet that Dr.Unity real and powerful spell caster who i will always pray to live long to help his children in the time of trouble,
if you are here and you need your
Ex back or your husband moved to another woman, do not cry anymore, contact this powerful spell caster now.
Here’s his contact: Email him at: Unityspelltemple@gmail.com ,

+1
+4
-1
Patricia Shiels posted on

HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS TYPE 2 CURE
I am from USA i was diagnosed with HSV TPYE 2 while I was pregnant .I cried for days. I was devastated and looking up info on it just made it worse. I don't know how long I have had it for. I don't know if my partner has it or if he was the one who transferred it to me. I had one outbreak while pregnant. That's how I found out I had the virus. I started taking and antiviral and took it everyday twice a day to make sure I wasn't able to get an outbreak. I debated whether I wanted to have my daughter natural or c- section. I was terrified. Stress wasn't helping my situation. I ended up having her natural and she is a beautiful healthy 2 month old baby girl. I try not to think about me having the virus because of my depression i couldn't. so I have to focus more on how to get rid of HSV TPYE 2 because i don't want anything to happen to my daughter and thank God she was born fine. i visited different hospital but they gave me list of drugs like acyclovir, Zovirax, and (valacyclovir)Valtrex without without get rid of my virus. one day i decide to surf the internet for cure so i saw a testimony total cure of HERPES by Dr. EHIAGWINA with NATURAL HERBS so i pick up the email Address: ehiagwinaherbalhome@gmail.com and contact he an hour later he reply explain to me how am going to get the herbs and how am going to use it to cure my virus i give a try believe me it work perfectly i used it within seven days now am tested negative i am free from the virus thanks Doc. for so many passing through this contact Dr. EHIAGWINA to help you get rid of the virus. here is his email address: ehiagwinaherbalhome@gmail.com you can also call or add him on whats app +2348162084504 He can as well cure so many diseases like...........
1. ALS
2. HPV
3. SHINGLES
4. CANCER
5. HIV/AIDS
6. BREAST AND PENIS ENLARGEMENT and others diseases i can't remember now.Thanks Doc am so happy today

+1
0
-1
Perfect Loan Firm posted on

DO NOT KEEP YOUR FINANCIAL BURDEN TO YOURSELF CONTACT US NOW FOR ANY KIND OF LOAN AT A LOW INTEREST OF 2%.( perfectloanlenderltd@gmail.com )
Our loans are well insured for maximum security is our priority, Our leading goal is to help you get the service you deserve, Our Loan program is the quickest. We give out loan in any currency of your choice {Us Dollar, pounds, Euro, Dinar, etc}
We offer a wide range of financial services which includes: Xmas Loans, Business Loans, Debt Consolidation Loans, Personal Loans, Car loans, Hotel loans, Student loans, Home Refinancing Loans with low interest rate @2% for individuals, companies and corporate bodies.
Interested applicants should Contact us via email: perfectloanlenderltd@gmail.com . Apply and be free from financial bondage.

+1
+1
-1
Rosa Wyatt posted on

I’m so excited! Thanks to Dr. Azeez for bringing back my Ex-husband and brought great joy to me today! Azeezabdulahi12@gmail.com is certainly the best spell caster online, if you need your Ex lover back fast! And his result is 100% guarantee….
After 12years of marriage, me and my husband has been into one quarrel or the other until he finally left me and moved to California to be with another woman. I felt my life was over and my kids thought they would never see their father again. I tried to be strong just for the kids but I could not control the pain that torments my heart, my heart was filled with sorrows and pains because I was really in love with my husband. Every day and night I think of him and always wish he would come back to me, I was really upset and I needed help, so I searched for help online and I came across a website that suggested that Dr Azeez can help get ex back fast. So, I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and he told me what to do and I did it then he did a (Love spell) for me. 18 hours later, my husband really called me and told me that he miss me and the kids so much, So Amazing!! So that was how he came back that same day, with lots of love and joy, and he apologized for his mistake, and for the pains he caused me and the kids. Then from that day, our Marriage was now stronger than how it was before, all thanks to Dr Azeez. he is so powerful and I decided to share my story on the internet that Dr.Azeez real and powerful spell caster who I will always pray to live long to help his children in the time of trouble, if you are here and you need your Ex back or your husband moved to another woman, do not cry anymore, contact this powerful spell caster now. Here’s his contact: Email him at: Azeezabdulahi12@gmail.com
you can also call him or add him on what’s-app: +2348160153829

+1
-1
-1
sarahbarbara175 posted on

My ex boyfriend also broke up with me but when I contacted Unityspelltemple@gmail.com my boyfriend came back to me, is certainly the best spell caster online, and his result is 100% guarantee.
I am Sarah Barbara from USA, after 4 years of relationship with my boyfriend,
he broke up me and brought in another Girl, i did all i could to get him back
28 hours later, my boyfriend really called me and told me that he miss me so much,
and for the pain he caused me . Then from that day,
Our relationship was now stronger than how it were before, All thanks to Dr Unity. he is so powerful and i decided
if you are here and you need your Ex back or your husband moved to another woman, do not cry anymore, contact this powerful spell caster now.

+1
-2
-1
URGENT EFFECTIVE LOVE-SPELL TO GET YOUR EX BOYFRIEND/GIRLFR posted on

URGENT EFFECTIVE LOVE-SPELL TO GET YOUR EX BOYFRIEND/GIRLFRIEND BACK FAST. Unityspelltemple@gmail.com is certainly the best spell caster online, and his result is 100% guarantee.
you can also visit his website: https://urgentspell.blogspot.com ,
Website: https://unityspelltempe.blogspot.com.

+1
0
-1
Jessica posted on

After being in relationship with Wilson for seven years,he broke up with me, I did everything possible to bring him back but all was in vain, I wanted him back so much because of the love I have for him, I begged him with everything, I made promises but he refused. I explained my problem to someone online and she suggested that I should contact a spell caster that could help me cast a spell to bring him back but I am the type that don't believed in spell, I had no choice than to try it, I meant a spell caster called Dr Zuma zuk and I email him, and he told me there was no problem that everything will be okay before three days, that my ex will return to me before three days, he cast the spell and surprisingly in the second day, it was around 4pm. My ex called me, I was so surprised, I answered the call and all he said was that he was so sorry for everything that happened, that he wanted me to return to him, that he loves me so much. I was so happy and went to him, that was how we started living together happily again. Since then, I have made promise that anybody I know that have a relationship problem, I would be of help to such person by referring him or her to the only real and powerful spell caster who helped me with my own problem and who is different from all the fake ones out there. Anybody could need the help of the spell caster, his email: spiritualherbalisthealing@gmail.com or call him +2349055637784 you can email him if you need his assistance in your relationship or anything. CONTACT HIM NOW FOR SOLUTION TO ALL YOUR PROBLEMS

+1
+1
-1
sarahbarbara175 posted on

I NEED MY EX LOVER BACK Contact: Unityspelltemple@gmail.com ,Is certainly the best spell caster online, and his result is 100% guarantee.My Names is Julie Collins from United states.
you can also visit his website: https://urgentspell.blogspot.com .

+1
-1
-1
Sarah Jack posted on

Testimony On How To Get Urgent Real Love Spell Online That Work Fast..... Juni Noel by name and i am located in UK ,I recently saw a testimony about a spell caster of some sort in a blog i visit for relationship and dating counseling problems because i had been having serious problems with my boyfriend and we had been dating for 2 year, he just suddenly changed, he wasn't returning my calls, he started cheating, he was hurting me in so many ways i never thought possible and i just thought i should try this spell caster called Dr joy cos there are so many good comments about him on the website, but before i could read his post,i have already contacted many spell caster that cheated me out of my hard earned money without given me result.but when i meet this spell caster out of desperation of some sort.i decided to contact him to please render his help to me, i explained all the problems that i was going through to him and he told me all i needed to do to get this spell castes. at first everything felt dreamy and unbelievable, their consultations and solution was a little bit easy and strange and i was scared a little cos I had read and heard lots of stories of fake spell casters, scams and i never really believed in magic. i played along with a little hope and faith and i was sent some few stuffs after everything and it worked like a miracle, everything went to a whole new direction, it was and is amazing. i guess it was all good faith that made me read that particular post that faithful day.i hope he could help other people too like he did to me. i did a little and I got everything i wanted and wished for, my boyfriend, my family and my life back you can contact Dr joy at: joylovespell@gmail.com because he changed my life call him or add him on whats-app +2347088404185.

+1
+1
-1
Devon Robin posted on

This is not just the ordinary reviews about spell casters that floods the web everyday, mine is written out of a personal experience & observation. I count it a privilege to judiciously use this life time opportunity given to me by a genius (Dr. Wakina) that possess a high level of spiritual potential to make infeasible feasible.
Idk if it is right to call him an angel because he is exceptional in incomparable for making life, finance, breakup and divorce easier to resolve with a perfect and lasting solution.
After the experience & observation I obtained within 7 years my Husband left me, I decided to settle comfortable with the benefit of appreciating Dr. Wakina for doing what 11 persons cannot do. The difference was clear from the moment I sent “can you help me get back my husband?” to his email: (dr.wakinalovetemple@gmail.com).
I am happy for not being the depressed & lost woman I used to be before I met a great healer. Words cannot express my appreciation to Dr. Wakina Love Temple.

+1
+3
-1
Cierra Watson posted on

Get your ex lover back and save your marriage now. Contact: Unityspelltemple@gmail.com , Is certainly the best spell caster online, and his result is 100% guarantee!!. I'm so excited my boyfriend is back after he left me for another Girl. After 4 years of relationship with my boyfriend, he broke up me and brought in another Girl, i did all i could to get him back but all proved abortive, I was really upset and i needed help, so i searched for help online and I came across a website that suggested that Dr Unity can help get ex back fast. So, I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and he told me what to do and i did it then he did a (Love spell) for me. 28 hours later, my boyfriend really called me and told me that he miss me so much, So Amazing!! So that was how he came back that same day,with lots of love and joy,and he apologized for his mistake, and for the pain he caused me . Then from that day, Our relationship was now stronger than how it were before, All thanks to Dr Unity. he is so powerful and i decided to share my story on the internet that Dr.Unity real and powerful spell caster who i will always pray to live long to help his children in the time of trouble, if you are here and you need your Ex back or your husband moved to another woman, do not cry anymore, contact this powerful spell caster now. Here’s his contact: Email him at: Unityspelltemple@gmail.com ,
you can also visit his website: https://urgentspell.blogspot.com.

+1
0
-1