Sports | Soccer

Women's soccer aims to defend top Ivy spot at Yale

Women’s soccer will play at Yale this Saturday in its penultimate regular-season game. 

After shutting out its last seven opponents, the Lions (7-4-4, 4-0-1 Ivy) are off to their best Ivy League start in history. But their position atop the conference standings is tenuous. Harvard, also undefeated in Ivy play, sits in second, just two points behind Columbia. The two will face off in the season finale on Nov. 5 in Cambridge. 

Yale (5-6-3, 1-3-1 Ivy) lost its last two games against Penn and Cornell, respectively. Earlier this fall, the Light Blue dispatched the Quakers 1-0 on an overtime Natalie Neshat header, and trumped the Big Red 2-0 at Fairleigh Dickinson. If Columbia hopes to win a league title, however, Yale can’t be ignored. 

Bulldogs’ first-year forward Aerial Chavarin, who’s started the last 10 games after coming off the bench to begin the season, will pose a serious threat to the Lions’ back line as she leads the team with nine goals and 21 points. And while the Bulldogs are no longer in the running for a conference title, if they win, Harvard would dethrone the Lions with a victory at Dartmouth. 

The Light Blue failed to score in its last contest, drawing against Dartmouth on Homecoming. Forwards Emma Anderson, Natalie Neshat, and Madeline Linde, its top three goal scorers, will look to re-establish the offensive attack against the Bulldogs. 

Yale has dominated the all-time series 19-7-5, but Columbia will try to build off of last year’s win in a meeting at home, which was sealed by an Anderson overtime goal. 

Women’s soccer plays at Yale on Saturday. Kickoff in New Haven is set for 4 p.m

jered.everson@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports