Sports | Soccer

Women’s soccer stumbles at Yale in first Ivy defeat

Women’s soccer fell 2-1 at Yale in overtime on Saturday afternoon, ending an eight-game undefeated streak. 

Both teams’ offensive attacks were stagnant in the first half, totaling just seven combined shots on goal. The Lions (7-5-4, 4-1-1 Ivy) accounted for four of those shots, sizably below their season average of six per half, as Yale’s (6-6-3, 2-3-1 Ivy) physicality slowed down the pace of play. But things picked up significantly in the second half. 

The Light Blue opened the scoring in the 68th minute, after sophomore forward Amaris Hemmings broke through the Bulldogs’ back line and slotted home a through-ball from senior forward Madeline Linde. The Lions held the 1-0 lead until the final minute, when Yale’s Michelle Alozie fired a low bouncer past senior goalkeeper Allison Spencer, ending her 703-minute scoreless streak in net.

The contest didn’t last much longer. Three minutes into extra time, Yale’s Geneva Decker drove a liner past Spencer, ending the game in the Bulldogs’ favor on the Elis’ senior day. Prior to this meeting, Columbia hadn’t allowed a goal in seven matches. 

After the loss, the Lions sit one point behind Harvard at the top of the Ivy League standings, following the Crimson’s 2-0 victory over Dartmouth. Columbia and Harvard play each other in the season finale on Nov. 5, a must-win for the Lions in their quest to bring home the 2016 Ivy League championship.

Columbia will vie for a second Ivy Championship against Harvard, with kickoff scheduled for 1 p.m in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

jered.everson@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports