Sports | Men's Swimmng and Diving

Men's swimming and diving sweeps in opening weekend

The men’s swimming and diving squad swept their first weekend of competition, beating Penn (1-1, 0-1 Ivy) 152-148 and Army (1-2) 220.5-99.50 at West Point on Friday. 

Columbia (2-0, 1-0 Ivy) started off the meet with first place finishes in the 200 medley relay and the 1000 yard freestyle. The team placed top finishers in eight events during the meet.

Junior Jae Park had a huge day in pool for the Lions. Park contribute with first place and second place finishes in the 100 and 200 breaststroke, respectively. Park was also a member of the 200 medley team that opened the meet with a win followed by a runner-up finish in the 200 I.M.

Other victories included sophomore Brian Tsau in the 1000 freestyle and senior Terry Li touching the wall first  in the 100 butterfly and the 400 freestyle relay. Junior Michael Zyla also notched a tying win in the 100 backstroke before taking a solo victory in the 200 backstroke.

A handful of Lions posted runner-up times, including a pair from first-year Nian-Guo Liu, junior Kevin Frifeldt, and Park.

On the diving boards, junior Jayden Pantel continued his undefeated streak on the three-meter dive with a 313.10. He posted a 337.70 on the one-meter dive to secure a sweep of the diving events.

Columbia will continue its road trip next weekend at Yale.

jacqueline.diggs@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports