Sports | Tennis

Light Blue doubles shine in fall finale for Men’s tennis

Men’s tennis saw mixed results at the ITA National Indoor Collegiate Championships this weekend.

The doubles pair of brothers Richard and Victor Pham, who topped senior Shawn Hadavi and first-year Jackie Tang in an all-Columbia doubles final to cap off the Northeast Regionals, made the farthest tournament run of all Light Blue competitors this year. The duo advanced to a semifinal showdown with the No. 55 ranked duo in the country, Valparaiso’s Jeffrey Schorsch and Charlie Emhardt, but fell to the Crusaders pair 7-6 (8), 6-3 in a back-and-forth affair. 

Nonetheless, head coach Bid Goswami was pleased with the efforts put forth by the brothers.

“Rich and Victor played really really well this weekend,” Goswami said. “They looked really good towards the end of practices, so I liked their chances going into the tournament.”

Hadavi and Tang joined the brothers, earning the Host Wildcard spot in the Indoor Championships. The senior-first-year duo topped Georgia Gwinnett’s pair of Jordan Cox and Kevin Konfederak 6-3, 6-3 setting up a heated contest with Wake Forest’s No. 3 ranked doubles pair of Skander Mansouri and Christian Seraphim.

Hadavi and Tang dominated the match early on, jumping out to a 6-2 first-set victory, but dropped the second set 6-0. The third-set breaker lasted 28 points, but finished 15-13 in the Demon Deacon duo’s favor.  The No. 2 seeded Mansouri and Seraphim, who stand at six foot three and six foot ten respectively, presented a stiff challenge for the five foot nine Hadavi and the six foot even Tang. But, Goswami admired their ability to handle the big serves of the Wake Forest pair, and remained confident that his team’s doubles play will continue to improve.  

“I think we’re playing at a level as high as any time in the last 4-5 years in doubles,” Goswami said. “Now the task is finding that third and fourth team to really anchor our doubles lineup.”

In singles, Hadavi earned Columbia’s Host Wildcard spot, but fell short in two matches, dropping the first to No. 18 Gustav Hansson of Ole Miss, 6-4, 7-6(3) and No. 17 Andre Goransson of Cal, 6-2, 6-3. Goswami was disappointed with Hadavi’s results, but explained that the outcome could have easily gone either way—part of the reason that tennis can be cruel at times, he explained.

While play this weekend wrapped up the fall season, Goswami is looking forward to working with the team extensively throughout the winter, before the team begins play once again in January.

“The Ivy Championship will be won in the next three weeks, or four weeks. It depends on how much we work,” Goswami said. “We’re going to work extremely hard to get in great shape and be ready for the spring.”

christopher.lopez@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports