Sports | Men's Basketball

Men's basketball tops Stony Brook in season opener

First-year guard Mike Smith sealed men’s basketball’s first win of the season in the final seconds of a 73-66 victory at Stony Brook.

With Columbia leading 68-65 with 16 seconds left, Smith beat the shot clock with a three-point basket to all but finish the Seawolves. On Stony Brook’s ensuing possession, the first-year positioned himself in front of Stony Brook guard Lucas Woodhouse to draw a charge with 10 seconds left.

Smith proceeded to sink two free throws to cap a 14-point debut and an 8-1 seven-point Columbia run to end the contest.

The score was tied 65-65 with 2:20 left to play after Woodhouse banked in a floater. Sophomore guard Quinton Adlesh responded with a three-pointer a couple possessions later, setting up Smith’s impressive stretch.

Senior forward Luke Petrasek led all scorers with 20 points despite playing just 22 minutes. The 6-foot-10 native of Eastport, New York— just 14 miles away from Stony Brook—dominated his hometown team by scoring nine unanswered points in the second half. He converted an and-one and netted two threes in just 76 seconds to give the Lions their first double-digit lead at 51-38 with 13:49 left. 

Aside from Petrasek’s veteran display, the contest featured a variety of new key contributors in the wake of the four departed seniors from last season. Sophomore forward Lukas Meisner, who saw minutes primarily off the bench last season, played a team-high 34 minutes in a starting role and led all players with 12 rebounds. 

Junior guard Nate Hickman added 13 points after earning the start alongside Meisner. Sophomore guards Rodney Hunter and Adlesh also saw plenty of time to make strong contributions, despite not playing significant minutes last season.

Stony Brook guard Roland Nyama poured in a team-high 16 points, scoring from both beyond the arc and in the paint. He also helped bolster a new-look Seawolves squad under newly-hired head coach Jeff Boals, who is tasked with replacing the top-three scorers from a year ago. 

The Seawolves still managed to keep it close throughout, outrebounding the Light Blue by seven. The difference truly came at the free-throw line, where Stony Brook finished 12-for-21. 

austin.horn@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports