Sports | Women's Basketball

Women's basketball tops Richmond

Women’s basketball held off a fourth-quarter Richmond run to earn its first win of the season, 65-58. 

Junior forward Camille Zimmerman led the way with her second double-double in as many games, tallying 18 points and 15 rebounds on Sunday afternoon in Virginia. Along with senior forward Devon Roeper, Zimmerman keyed a 12-0 run to end the first quarter, and Columbia (1-1) never looked back against the Spiders (0-1). 

Richmond led for all of 26 seconds in its home opener, only creeping to within a basket midway through the fourth quarter. But three straight points by Roeper made it 55-49 with 5:38 left to play. Senior forward Tori Oliver added two jumpers on an afternoon that she finished with 15 points and eight rebounds. Sophomore guard Paulina Koerner then converted a layup, and the Spiders never came any closer than six points the rest of the way. 

With the win, Megan Griffith made history with her first career victory as a head coach. She returned to Morningside Heights this past spring after a six-year stint at Princeton, and one of her first moves was to welcome Koerner into the starting lineup. 

That decision paid dividends during the game, with Koerner pouring in a career-high 18 points on nine-for-10 shooting from the free-throw line. Oliver was the only other Columbia player with double-digit attempts from the charity stripe, as the team shot a combined 79 percent from the line. 

Oliver added 15 points and eight rebounds in a dominating team performance on the glass. The Lions outrebounded the Spiders 54-33, flummoxing the opposition throughout and notching five blocks. The only exception to Columbia’s strong performance came with 25 personal fouls, which sent the Spiders’ junior guard Micaela Parson to the line 19 times.

Parson made 11 of those attempts en route to 20 points on the afternoon. Fellow senior guard Janelle Hubbard was the only Spiders player in double figures, as Columbia held Richmond to just 27 percent shooting from the field in the win. 

The Lions will travel to Loretto, Pennsylvania this Saturday to take on St. Francis.

daniel.radov@columbiaspectator.com | @CUSpecSports