Sports | Women's Basketball

Women's basketball set to face Stony Brook

Women’s basketball returns to the road for a Tuesday evening clash with Stony Brook. 

Columbia (2-1) enters the contest on Long Island seeking its third consecutive win under first-year head coach Megan Griffith, CC ’07. Senior Tori Oliver led the way to the Lions’ last victory—84-77 over St. Francis—behind a team-high 23 points. 

Junior forward Camille Zimmerman added 20 points and a whopping 17 rebounds to continue a hot start to the year. She’s already been named Ivy Player of the Week twice this season, as the second-team All-Ivy selection has continued where she left off a year ago. 

If Oliver and Zimmerman repeat their performances from Saturday, the Seawolves (0-3) will face quite the test. Stony Brook is coming off a 78-60 home loss to No. 14 Syracuse and has yet to hit its stride on the offensive end, averaging just 57 points per contest. 

The Seawolves have operated largely inside the arc this fall, with just six 3-point attempts per game. But even that relatively conservative strategy has failed to pay dividends, as Stony Brook has shot 39 percent from the field despite an impressive start from leading scorer Kori Bayne-Walker. 

The senior guard has tallied 14.3 points per game and shot nearly 63 percent from 3-point land, but Bayne-Walker has had to carry the offense almost by herself this season. Senior forward Elizabeth Manner is the only other Stony Brook player who averages in double figures, which may draw the defensive attention of either Zimmerman or Oliver come Tuesday night. 

Tipoff is set for 7 p.m. at Island Federal Credit Union Arena in Stony Brook. | @CUSpecSports